PASTORS MESSAGE FOR AUGUST 23, 2015
TWENTY FIRST SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
Today's Readings at Mass present us with choices: "Decide today whom you will serve...as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord" - these are the words of Joshua (in the First Reading from Joshua 24:1ff). In the Gospel (John 6:60ff) many of the disciples of Jesus leave him, unable to accept his teaching that he is the Bread of Life and we must eat his flesh and blood in the Holy Eucharist to have life. Jesus then says to the Twelve Apostles: "Do you also want to leave?" Simon Peter answers for all Christians: "Master, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We have come to believe and are convinced that you are the Holy One of God." The question for each and all of us:
"Do we choose Jesus as our Lord and Savior and all he teaches as our way of life?"
* Have you ever thought of becoming a Catholic? Do you know someone who is interested in learning about our Catholic Faith? Are you a Catholic who has not received Confirmation or First Communion? You are invited to join Father Steve and the Parish RCIA team on Tuesday nights, beginning September 15, in the Spiritual Library in the School from 7:00 to 8:30 PM. Any questions? Call Father Steve at the Rectory (969-6868).
* Our Lady of Mount Carmel School begins the first day of classes on Wednesday, August 26th. Our parish is blessed to have this wonderful school where the children spend their days in a Catholic atmosphere and community and learn and grow and excel in all areas of life and knowledge. There are still openings for more students - please call the School Office (at 969-5965) for more information.
* Many thanks to all who are responding to the "Adopt A Student Appeal" to provide tuition scholarships to students and families needing assistance so they can attend our parish school. You can help by making a donation or pledge. Your gift could cover the weekly cost of $157, the monthly cost of $567 or the full $5, 670 yearly tuition for a student. A larger donation or gift in you will would be a gift that keeps on giving. Pledge cards and envelopes will be found at the doors of the Church and have been mailed to all registered parishioners. Your generous response is very much appreciated.
UPDATE ON MAJOR REPAIRS THIS SUMMER
1. A new School Roof has been installed on the west wing of the School from classroom 7 to the School Office. Final Cost: $38,862, plus $2,146 for work on the wiring on the School roof.
2. Work is now complete on replacing the main water and gas lines from Hot Springs Road to the Church and Rectory. The final cost was below budget at $27,093
3. Asphalt repair has been completed on sections of the School playground. Cost: Approximately $10,000
4. We hope to install a new video and sound system in the Parish Hall to meet the needs of children and youth. Final cost to be determined.
These are all parish projects funded by the Church. In addition, the School is installing a new electronic security gate on Hot Springs Road and is also renovating computer and telephone wiring on the School roof and has painted the interior of some of the class rooms.
We are very grateful to one parish family who have donated $2,000 to help fund these projects. Any gifts or donations would be helpful in meeting the many needs for maintaining and renovating our Church and School buildings.
OUR PARISH FINANCES
Many thanks to all for your generous contributions to our Church in the Offertory Collection each Sunday. Here is the report on the Offertory Collection for Sunday, July 25th/26th:
Envelopes & Plate $6,499.00
Our collections are smaller in the summer months as many people travel out of town. Your generosity in the summer months is very important for our parish. We also invite larger donations from parishioners and friends who can do so. Your generous contributions to the Sunday Offertory Collection funds all the parish worship, religious, educational and service programs of our parish.
Online Giving is now available at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. You may contribute or learn more about our program by clicking the Donate button on this home page or by visiting the Giving page.
Many thanks and God's blessings on you and your family.
El Campo Del Sol - supplies/donations needed
El Campo Del Sol August 9, 2015 A fun-filled day of games, art and music for 150 economically poor Children & Teens who live in Carpinteria. 1. We are in need of gently used clothing for children and teens. 2. We are also in need of donations to purchase school supplies to fill backpacks for the Children. If you can help, please contact Sister Kathleen Patrice 969-4868. Progam flyer attached
wysiwyg_uploads/file/El Campo Del Sol 2015.pdf
First Friday of Every Month - Transition House
Parish Hall Kitchen - In keeping with our First Friday tradition, we will be responsible for the evening meal at Transition House. Transition House is a community sponsored temporary home for families with children. Help is needed - if you can help for this one evening, please call Rina & Alvin Bentajado at 687-8737. Monetary donations may be sent c/o Mt Carmel Parish.
First Friday Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament will begin after the 7:45 am Mass and conclude with Benediction at 12 noon. Please come by and pray for vocations and peace.
More Events >
May Our Lady of Mount Carmel be with you always. May she be the star that guides you and never disappears from your horizon. May she lead you now, throughout your life, and at its completion to a safe haven.
—Pope John Paul II