LENT STATIONS OF THE CROSS & SOUP DINNER
Weekday & Saturday Mass at 7:45 AM
Friday Stations of the Cross at 6:00 P.M., followed by Soup Dinner in the Parish Hall.
If you would like to bring soup to the Soup Dinner, a sign-up list is placed at the doors of the Church on Sunday or call Sister Kathleen Patrice at 969-4868.
PASTOR'S MESSAGE SUNDAY MARCH 1, 2015
SECOND SUNDAY OF LENT
Mount Moriah, the Mount of Calvary and Mount Thabor are the settings for this Sunday's Readings. On Mount Moriah Abraham's faith in God and his promises is tested. God says: "Take your son Isaac, your only one, whom you love...and offer him up as a holocaust"(Genesis 22:1ff). As Abraham prepares to make this great sacrifice, he discovers that God is a God of life and blessings who does not desire human sacrifice like the Canaanite gods of old.
In the Second Reading, Paul speaks about what happened on the hill of Calvary: that "God did not spare his own Son but handed him over for us all", so showing that "God is for us" and Christ Jesus "intercedes for us"(Romans 8:31ff). On Mount Thabor (in today's Gospel, Mark 9:2ff). we see Jesus transfigured in glory. For a few moments Peter, James and John have a glimpse of the glory of Jesus which will be seen after his death and resurrection at Easter.
Lent is intended to be our mountain-top experience of God. As we walk with Jesus towards Jerusalem and his death on the Cross on Good Friday and resurrection at Easter, may we listen more to Jesus. If we listen to Jesus, then we can face the test of faith that life brings us and we will be faithful and see the Cross of Calvary lead to the glory of Mount Thabor and Easter resurrection.
* Many thanks to all who are responding to the Annual Appeal, Together in Mission. Your generous donation or four month pledge are very important for our parish to meet its goal of $42,000 for the Annual Appeal. So far we have received $28, 203 towards the parish goal. We ask for more generous parishioners to help us meet the goal. All funds go to only to the 80 parishes and 63 parish schools that need help to provide the ministry of Christ in our own Archdiocese of Los Angeles. Many thanks and God's blessings on all.
* Children from our Sunday morning Religious Education program will help us celebrate 10 AM Mass next Sunday.
* We invite you to come to daily Mass at 7:45 AM in Lent and to the Friday Stations of the Cross at 6:00 PM followed by Soup Supper in the Parish Hall. You may sign up at the doors of the Church this Sunday to bring soup from home for the Soup Supper or call Sister Kathleen Patrice at 969-4868.
* May each day of Lent be a time to die to self and live more for God and for others!
* Online giving is now available at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. Online giving is a convenient and safe way to make your donations which show your love for God and his Church, especially if you are out of town or unable to come to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church every Sunday. To donate, click the Donate buttons on this homepage or on the Giving page or in the upper right section of our website.
OUR PARISH FINANCES
Many thanks to all for your generous contributions to our Church in the Offertory Collection each Sunday. Here is the report for the Offertory Collection on Sunday, February 7th/8th:
Envelopes & Plate Collection $6,937.00
Donations $ 850.00
Your generous giving in the Offertory Collection each Sunday is very important and funds all the parish worship, religious, educational and service programs and helps in making necessary repairs and continuing maintenance of the Church and parish buildings and grounds.
Online giving is now available at Our Lady of Mount Carmel and provides a new way to show your love for God and his Church through your generous donations. To donate, click the Donate buttons on this homepage or on the Giving page or in the upper right section of our website.
Many thanks and God's blessings for your generous giving to God and his Church.
First Friday of Every Month - Transition House
Parish Hall Kitchen - In keeping with our First Friday tradition, we will be responsible for the evening meal at Transition House. Transition House is a community sponsored temporary home for families with children. Help is needed - if you can help for this one evening, please call Rina & Alvin Bentajado at 687-8737. Monetary donations may be sent c/o Mt Carmel Parish.
First Friday Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament will begin after the 7:45 am Mass and conclude with Benediction at 12 noon. Please come by and pray for vocations and peace.
More Events >
May Our Lady of Mount Carmel be with you always. May she be the star that guides you and never disappears from your horizon. May she lead you now, throughout your life, and at its completion to a safe haven.
—Pope John Paul II