PASTOR'S MESSAGE JANUARY 18, 2015
SECOND SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
GOD CALL: God calls each person as he calls Andrew, Simon Peter and the other disciple in today's Gospel (John 1:35ff). He says: "Come, and you will see." At times we are like Samuel in today's First Reading (1 Samuel:3:3ff): we have trouble hearing and realizing that God is calling. Like Samuel we can say: "Speak, Lord, your servant is listening" - a wonderful way to begin some quiet moments of prayer or daily Bible Reading or a short visit before the Blessed Sacrament in Church. God's call reaches into all areas of life: family, work, politics, sexual morality.
St. Paul reminds us in the Second Reading (1 Corinthians 6:13ff) that we respond to God not only with our hearts and minds but also with our bodies which are temples of the Holy Spirit who is within us. God calls - may we respond in all areas of our lives.
* We are now in the period of Ordinary Time in the Church year. Ordinary Time refers to the thirty four weeks of the Church year that are not part of Advent-Christmas or Lent-Easter seasons. All time is sacred to God and every Sunday is of great importance as the day of the Lord's resurrection and the day of the completion of creation. Let every Sunday, the Lord's day, be a day of worship together at Eucharist and a day of play and rest in God's love.
* Ordinary Time lasts until Ash Wednesday on February 18th and begins again on May 25, the day after Pentecost and the end of the Easter season.
* Monday of this week is Martin Luther King Day and a national holiday. The Parish Office and School will be closed on Monday for the holiday. Mass will be celebrated at 7:45 AM.
* Children from Our Lady of Mount Carmel School will help us celebrate a Family Mass at 10 AM next Sunday, the start of Catholic Schools Week. A pancake breakfast will be served in the Parish Hall by School families next Sunday. All are welcome.
* The RCIA class for Non-Catholics inquiring into the Catholic Faith and for adult Catholics who would like to prepare for First Holy Communion or Confirmation continues on Tuesday from 7:00 to 8:30 PM in the Spiritual Library in the School. Any questions? Call Father Steve at the Parish Office (969-6868).
* Online giving is now available at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. Online giving is a convenient and safe way to make your donations expressing your love for God and your parish Church, especially if you are out of town or unable to come to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church every Sunday. To donate, click the Donate buttons on this homepage or on the Giving page or in the upper right section of our website.
OUR PARISH FINANCES
Many thanks to all for your generous contributions to our Church in the Offertory Collection each Sunday and in the Christmas collection We are very happy to report that the Christmas collection was $41,967. This is wonderful as the Christmas collection is a very important part of our Annual Parish Budget.
Your generous giving in the Offertory Collection each Sunday and at Christmas and Easter funds all the parish worship, religious, educational and service programs of the parish.
Online giving is now available at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church; this is a convenient and secure way to make your donations expressing your love for God and your parish Church, especially if you are out of town or unable to attend massd at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church every Sunday. To donate, click the Donate buttons on this homepage or on the Giving page or in the upper right section of our website.
First Friday of Every Month - Transition House
Parish Hall Kitchen - In keeping with our First Friday tradition, we will be responsible for the evening meal at Transition House. Transition House is a community sponsored temporary home for families with children. Help is needed - if you can help for this one evening, please call Rina & Alvin Bentajado at 687-8737. Monetary donations may be sent c/o Mt Carmel Parish.
First Friday Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament will begin after the 7:45 am Mass and conclude with Benediction at 12 noon. Please come by and pray for vocations and peace.
Catholic Charities Food Pantry
"Whatever you do for one of my brothers, you do for me." Matthew 25:39 Please donate food and personal hygiene items to assist those who have lost their jobs. Items may be left in the Church vestibule and the Rectory office. Thank you for your generosity!
More Events >
May Our Lady of Mount Carmel be with you always. May she be the star that guides you and never disappears from your horizon. May she lead you now, throughout your life, and at its completion to a safe haven.
—Pope John Paul II