LENT STATIONS OF THE CROSS & SOUP DINNER
Weekday & Saturday Mass at 7:45 AM
Friday Stations of the Cross at 6:00 P.M., followed by Soup Dinner in the Parish Hall.
If you would like to bring soup to the Soup Dinner, a sign-up list is placed at the doors of the Church on Sunday or call Sister Kathleen Patrice at 969-4868.
PASTOR'S MESSAGE MARCH 22, 2015
FIFTH SUNDAY OF LENT
As we begin the last two weeks of Lent, we focus more and more on Jesus as he moves towards his agony, death and resurrection. In today's Gospel (John 12:20ff) Jesus says: "The hour has come". Now is the time for him to go through suffering and death to reign gloriously from the Cross (in John's Gospel the Cross is the throne of the King of All rather than an instrument of suffering). Yet in John's Gospel Jesus still suffers.
We hear Jesus say today: "I am troubled now." In the Second Reading (from Hebrews 5:7-9) we are told that Jesus "offered prayers and supplications with loud cries and tears to God...Son though he was, he learned obedience from what he suffered." For Jesus, and for us, obeying God's will means facing the Cross. The grain of wheat must fall to the ground and die so new life can come forth (Jesus tells us in today's Gospel). As we walk with Jesus in these last days of Lent to the Cross on Good Friday and Resurrection at Easter may we die to selfishness and live for God and others so we may come to joyful new life at Easter in Christ.
* Children from Our Lady of Mount Carmel School will help us celebrate a Family Mass at 10:00 AM this Sunday.
* We invite you to come to daily Mass at 7:45 AM in Lent and the Friday Stations of the Cross at 6:00 PM. The final Soup Supper of Lent will take place in the Parish Hall after the Stations of the Cross this Friday. You may sign up at the doors of the Church to bring soup from home this Friday for the Soup Supper or call Sister Kathleen Patrice at 969-4868.
* Next Sunday is Palm Sunday of the Lord's Passion. The solemn blessing of palms will take place in the Garden around the fountain before the 4:30 PM Saturday Mass and then there will be a procession into Church. Distribution of palms will take place at the doors of the Church at all Sunday Masses.
* The full schedule of Holy Week and Easter services will be found in today's bulletin.
* On Holy Saturday, April 4, there will be NO 4:30 PM Vigil Mass. Instead the Easter Vigil and Mass of the Resurrection will take place at 7:00 PM (lasting about two hours). On Easter Sunday, April 5, Masses will be at 8:00, 9:30, 11:00 AM and 12:30 PM.
* Online giving is now available at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. Online giving is a convenient and safe way to make your donations which show your love for God and his Church, especially if you are out of town or unable to come to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church every Sunday.
To donate, click the Donate buttons on this homepage or on the Giving page or in the upper right section of our website.
OUR PARISH FINANCES
Many thanks to all for your generous contributions to our Church in the Offertory Collection each Sunday. Here is the report for the Offertory Collection on Sunday, February 28th/March 1st:
Envelopes & Plate Collection $9,285.50
Donations for maintenance $ 100.50
Your generous giving in the Offertory Collection each Sunday is very important and funds all the parish worship, religious, educational and service programs and helps in making necessary repairs and continuing maintenance of the Church and parish buildings and grounds. Online giving is now available at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. Online giving is a convenient and safe way to make your donations which show your love for God and his Church, especially if you are out of town or unable to come to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church every Sunday. To donate, click the Donate buttons on this homepage or on the Giving page or in the upper right section of our website.
Many thanks and God's blessings for your generous giving to God and his Church.
First Friday of Every Month - Transition House
Parish Hall Kitchen - In keeping with our First Friday tradition, we will be responsible for the evening meal at Transition House. Transition House is a community sponsored temporary home for families with children. Help is needed - if you can help for this one evening, please call Rina & Alvin Bentajado at 687-8737. Monetary donations may be sent c/o Mt Carmel Parish.
First Friday Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament will begin after the 7:45 am Mass and conclude with Benediction at 12 noon. Please come by and pray for vocations and peace.
More Events >
May Our Lady of Mount Carmel be with you always. May she be the star that guides you and never disappears from your horizon. May she lead you now, throughout your life, and at its completion to a safe haven.
—Pope John Paul II
7:00 PM with Adult Choir, followed by Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament until 9:00 PM