PASTOR'S MESSAGE FOR JULY 19, 2015
SIXTEENTH SUNDAY IN ORDINARY TIME
"The Lord is my Shepherd - so begins the beautiful 23rd Psalm which we say today as our Responsorial Psalm. Jesus is the Good Shepherd who invites his disciples (and ourselves) to "come away to a deserted place and rest a while" (Matthew 6:30-34). During the summer months we hope for quieter times when we can rest, relax, and be renewed in spirit. Life can be very hectic and stressful. St. Paul tells us today (in Ephesians 2:13-18) that "Jesus is our peace, he who made both one and broke down the dividing wall of enmity, through his flesh..."
In Jesus, our Good Shepherd, unity and peace are possible. May these days of summer be a time of rest, renewal, refreshment for all as we open our hearts to the peace of Jesus, the Good Shepherd!
* Each summer each parish welcomes a missionary speaker to ask for prayers and financial support as part of the Missionary Cooperative Plan. This Sunday Sister Sheila Novak of the Sisters of the Divine Savior (the Salvatorians) will make an appeal on behalf of the Sisters and their missionary work. We are a missionary Church, given a world wide mission by our Savior, Jesus Christ. Your prayers and financial support for this Appeal will be very much appreciated.
* Our parish is very blessed to belong to M-4: the four Churches of Montecito (All Saints Episcopal, El Montecito Presbyterian and Montecito Covenant Church). We invite you to join members of all four Churches this Saturday, July 25, at Montecito Covenant Church at 671 Cold Springs Road to stuff 280 backpacks for needy children attending local public schools. We will gather and begin at 10:00 AM. We shared in this project in 2011 and it was a wonderful experience of working with fellow Christians in sharing and helping children prepare for success in school. If you are unable to attend, you and all in our parish are invited to make a donation to cover our Church's share of the costs involved.
* We are blessed to have Father Liam O'Connell, S.J., with us in our parish in July as Father Steve, our Pastor, is away on vacation. Father Steve will return on July 24.
*Major repairs are taking place this summer. Here are some of the projects:
1. Installing a new School roof on the west wing of the School from classroom 7 to the School Office. We had leaks on this roof during the school year. We are hoping for lots of rain this Fall and Winter so this work is important. Cost: $38,550.
2. Replacing the main water line from Hot Springs Road to the Church and Rectory. The pipe is as old as the Church (79 years). Last July a major leak happened and the repair cost $1,030, plus a water penalty of $600 for the loss of water. In replacing the water line, the gas line will also be replaced and a pipe will be installed that one day will service a sprinkler system in the Church. Please be careful as the walkway between the Church and School will be closed for some weeks for trench digging, etc. Estimated Cost: $34,000.
3. Asphalt repair will take place early in August on sections of the School playground. Cost: $10,000.
These three projects must take place during the summer while School is closed. Some additional projects may take place in August (e.g., installing a new video projector system in the Parish Hall for the use of the School, the Youth Group and all our education programs).
We invite donations from generous parishioners and friends for any of these projects. Any gifts or donations would be helpful in meeting the many needs for maintaining and renovating our Church and School buildings.
Many thanks to all for your generous contributions to our Church in the Offertory Collection each Sunday. Here is the report on the Offertory Collection for Sunday, June 20th/21st:
Envelopes & Plate Collection $5,699
Donations for Maintenance $3,000
Our collections are smaller in the summer months as many people travel out of town. Your generosity in the summer months is very important to our parish. We also invite larger donations from parishioners and friends who can do so. Your generous contributions fund all the parish worship, religious, educational and service programs of our parish.
Online giving is now available at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. You may donate by visit the Giving page or clicking any of the Donate button located on the home page.
Many thanks and God's blessings on you and your family.
El Campo Del Sol - supplies/donations needed
El Campo Del Sol August 9, 2015 A fun-filled day of games, art and music for 150 economically poor Children & Teens who live in Carpinteria. 1. We are in need of gently used clothing for children and teens. 2. We are also in need of donations to purchase school supplies to fill backpacks for the Children. If you can help, please contact Sister Kathleen Patrice 969-4868. Progam flyer attached
wysiwyg_uploads/file/El Campo Del Sol 2015.pdf
First Friday of Every Month - Transition House
Parish Hall Kitchen - In keeping with our First Friday tradition, we will be responsible for the evening meal at Transition House. Transition House is a community sponsored temporary home for families with children. Help is needed - if you can help for this one evening, please call Rina & Alvin Bentajado at 687-8737. Monetary donations may be sent c/o Mt Carmel Parish.
First Friday Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament will begin after the 7:45 am Mass and conclude with Benediction at 12 noon. Please come by and pray for vocations and peace.
More Events >
May Our Lady of Mount Carmel be with you always. May she be the star that guides you and never disappears from your horizon. May she lead you now, throughout your life, and at its completion to a safe haven.
—Pope John Paul II