LENT STATIONS OF THE CROSS & SOUP DINNER
Weekday & Saturday Mass at 7:45 AM
Friday Stations of the Cross at 6:00 P.M., followed by Soup Dinner in the Parish Hall.
If you would like to bring soup to the Soup Dinner, a sign-up list is placed at the doors of the Church on Sunday or call Sister Kathleen Patrice at 969-4868.
PASTOR'S MESSAGE FEBRUARY 22, 2015
FIRST SUNDAY OF LENT
Lent begins, a time of renewal, of change, of growth, of new life in Christ, a new beginning. Noah and his family experience a new beginning after the Flood in today's First Reading (from Genesis 9:8ff) as God makes a covenant of peace and love with all living creatures, symbolized in the rainbow. In the Second Reading (from 1 Peter 3:18ff) St. Peter refers to Noah's ark and how we were saved in a similar way in the waters of Baptism.
In Baptism the power of the death and resurrection of Jesus reaches us. Lent calls us to rediscover these great realities of God's gift of life and love in Jesus Christ. As Jesus spent forty days in the desert, so for forty days we "repent" and turn back to God and his love and mercy in Jesus. We walk together towards Holy Week and the Baptism of new Christians and the renewal of our own Baptism at Easter. Prayer, fasting, almsgiving, daily Bible reading or Holy Mass, reaching out to others - these are some of the many ways we can come to new life in Jesus in these 40 days of Lent.
* This Sunday is Scout Sunday. Our Scouts will help in the celebration of Holy Eucharist at 10:00 AM and some Scouts will receive their Scout religious awards at this Mass.
* Many thanks to all who are responding to the Annual Appeal, Together in Mission. Your generous donation or four month pledge are very important for our parish to meet its goal of $42,000 for the Annual Appeal. A commitment envelope can be found in the pews this Sunday. Your generous response helps provide for ministry, education and services in 80 parishes and 63 parish schools in our own Archdiocese of Los Angeles Many thanks and God's blessings on all.
* We invite you to come to daily Mass at 7:45 AM in Lent and to the Friday Stations of the Cross at 6:00 PM, followed by Soup Dinner in the Parish. You may sign up at the doors of the Church this Sunday to bring soup from home for the Soup Dinner or call Sister Kathleen Patrice at 969-4868
* Lenten prayer meditation books will be found at the doors of the Church with a daily reflection on the Scripture Readings for each day in Lent.
* May each day of Lent be a time to die to self and live more for God and others!
* Father Steve, our Pastor, will be away this week at the annual retreat for priests of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles. He will return to the Rectory on Friday night.
* RCIA classes for Non-Catholics interested in learning about the Catholic Faith and for adult Catholics preparing for First Holy Communion or Confirmation continue on Tuesday nights in the Spiritual Library in the School from 7:00 to 8:30 PM. Any questions? Call Father Steve at the Parish Office (969-6868).
* Online giving is now available at Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church. Online giving is a convenient and safe way to make your donations which show your love for God and his Church, especially if you are out of town or unable to come to Our Lady of Mount Carmel Church every Sunday. To donate, click the Donate buttons on this homepage or on the Giving page or in the upper right section of our website.
OUR PARISH FINANCES
Many thanks to all for your generous contributions to our Church in the Offertory Collection each Sunday. Here is the report for the Offertory Collection on Sunday, January 31st/February 1st:
Envelopes & Plate Collection $7,856.00
Donation for Maintenance $ 50.00
Your generous giving in the Offertory Collection each Sunday is very important and funds all the parish worship, religious, educational and service programs of the parish and helps in making necessary repairs and continuing maintenance of the Church and parish buildings and grounds.
Online giving is now available at Our Lady of Mount Carmel and provides a new way to show your love for God and his Church through your generous donations. To donate, click the Donate buttons on this homepage or on the Giving page or in the upper right section of our website.
Many thanks and God's blessings for your generous giving to God and his Church.
First Friday of Every Month - Transition House
Parish Hall Kitchen - In keeping with our First Friday tradition, we will be responsible for the evening meal at Transition House. Transition House is a community sponsored temporary home for families with children. Help is needed - if you can help for this one evening, please call Rina & Alvin Bentajado at 687-8737. Monetary donations may be sent c/o Mt Carmel Parish.
First Friday Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament
Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament will begin after the 7:45 am Mass and conclude with Benediction at 12 noon. Please come by and pray for vocations and peace.
More Events >
Weekday — 7:45 a.m.
Saturday - 7:45 a.m.
Vigil Mass - 4:30 p.m.
Sunday - 8:00 a.m., 10:00 a.m., 12:00 noon
Holy Day - 7:45 a.m., 9:00 a.m. (school), 5:30 p.m.
Vigil Mass - 5:30 p.m.
Confession side chapel
Saturday - 3:30 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.
Stations of the Cross - Fridays during Lent - 6:00 p.m. followed by Soup Supper in the Parish Hall
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Catholic Church
1300 East Valley Road
Santa Barbara, CA 93108
For driving directions, click map (corner at Hot Springs Rd. & East Valley Rd.)
phone (805) 969-6868
May Our Lady of Mount Carmel be with you always. May she be the star that guides you and never disappears from your horizon. May she lead you now, throughout your life, and at its completion to a safe haven.
—Pope John Paul II